Monday, October 25, 2010

Reincarnating Myself

Watching a YouTube video made me realize how badly I've neglected music as an expression of my creativity, which led me to make the statement that I want to be reincarnated as the singer Feist. Subconsciously, I must have felt that there was no hope for such an expression in this lifetime, and I would have to wait until the next one. Then something changed.

I've wanted to learn piano since I was probably 4. It sounds strange, but it's something that I feel I was born to do. Just a few weeks ago I finally bought a piano. I'm not sure why it's taken me so long to realize this dream, but now that I've started, my musical flood gates have opened. Although I'm just beginning, playing Mary had a Little Lamb with two hands is, at the moment, extremely rewarding.

No matter what you believe will happen in your next lifetime (if you believe there is a next one) I hope that in the here and now you tap into the things that make you feel alive. Don't leave your hopes and dreams for the do-over. What if you come back as a rock?

Martha Graham puts this thought much more eloquently, so I leave you with her words:

"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."

Today's Musical Selection >

Reincarnate in the Incarnate

 

No comments:

Post a Comment